Roleplayer's Guide to Playing Lolthite and Playing With Lolthites

BorrowedTime

Postby BorrowedTime Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:41 am

To begin with:
Playing Lolthite drow is hard. Like, really hard. To others, it appears as though playing a character to have an excuse to be an asshole to other players. The lore of drow basically demands this, not only in dealing with other races, but with their own. They lie, cheat, steal, backstab, and otherwise do whatever it takes to get ahead. For those playing less- er, surfacers, consider that you only have to deal with other drow in passing. House Lysaen has to deal with each other.

Drow are not supposed to simply ignore things that make them mad. They're supposed to lash out and punish, kill, or otherwise plot to have it removed. If you feel a drow is ignoring you, it's likely so they don't have to do any of the alternatives. For myself, I attempt to at least emote consideration of the presence of others, or that they spoke, so the player knows that I am not ignoring them or their RP. Sometimes, we just have no reason to engage, especially if it's a baited attempt to make us engage in hostility in public.

Killing should be a last resort for any player, even if it would otherwise make IC sense. People do get invested in their characters, and enslaving, robbing, kidnapping, extorting, or any other form of punishment for loss of pvp should be considered first, if it comes to that.

For Drow:
The status quo.
Females take precedence over males. In theory, always. In practice, nearly always. Females are expected to pursue the priesthood. They can be anything they want to be, certainly, but anything less than a priestess is generally looked down upon. Given the status of males, females tend to become default leaders over them in theory, but in practice it may not be the best to place an inexperienced warrior over an experienced male one. Males can lead females, but only in their respective field of expertise.

Priestesses are the top rank in society, however, not all within the priesthood need technically be clerics. Warlocks, for instance, pacted to one of Lolth's servants, can become priests, though not of the highest ranks. When a priestess speaks, they speak the will of the Goddess (for all intents to purposes), and their decisions are unquestionable, at least openly. Offering advice or concerns are appropriate, so long as they do not make the priestess look weak.

Males have their own hierarchy in society, with wizards at the top, and warriors and rogue beneath. In their respective fields, however, they still take precedence over the others: a House Weaponmaster, for instance, would have authority over a House Wizard in the matters concerning to a warrior.

Houseless? Females are still superior in every regard, and anyone within a House is roughly superior to you, as you are beneath the hierarchy of drow society in general.

As for Skullport... it is NOT a drow city. There are only two drow houses, and a multitude of other races and factions. You WILL have to deal with other races. It's best to accept that early on, and come to terms with it and find ways to make it happen.

Lastly, lore:
Not everyone is as well-versed in the lore as others are or think they are, and not everyone will agree 100% on it. The best advice I can give: Try to be accommodating. Breaking lore entirely should certainly be avoided and pointed out. Bending the lore slightly for the sake of someone's fun? Not much to ask. And when in doubt, ask, and if someone asks you a question, try to answer it nicely.
xorena

Re: Roleplayer's Guide to Playing Lolthite and Playing With Lolthites

Postby xorena Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:58 am

Thank you for the post, BT.

This hopefully will address some issues I've seen with drow Lolth players lately.

I, for one, welcome dialogue OOC about how to RP drow. I am by no means an expert, having started when this server began (about a week or two after to be honest).

I welcome discussion on how to bring your character into the house, and how to properly play Lolthite. I've been told that drow can be the worst lore nazis. I've found this to be true. I absolutely will not compromise my RP, though, to accommodate some unique snowflake concept.

As I said before, I am not an expert. If I am annoying people because my character is not acting as a Lolthite should, that is my ignorance as a player. Please send me a tell and I can adjust my RP. There is a significant time investment in playing this character to learn the lore.

I also take longer in my responses because I have to get into the mindset of this dysfunctional society :)
Quarra

Postby Quarra Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Some advice I was given a long time ago:

"If you're going to play a drow female, just treat every male like they cheated on you and you're trying to make the relationship work."

Drow RP is, as BorrowedTime said, hard. There are always multiple layers of dialogue going on: the surface dialogue, the underlying power-struggle, and the deep down "how can I use this to my advantage" internal dialogue. Drow have evolved to have these three dialogues constantly, in all scenarios and all situations. It can be mentally exhausting to keep track.
BorrowedTime

Postby BorrowedTime Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:51 am

Thanks for the added feedback you two. I think it's important to make mention because of how player and character perceptions can become entwined. IC is IC, and OOC is OOC to me, and it is hard to maintain those separate, especially with something as controversial as playing a Lolthite. No one is going to do it perfectly or have the same idea even, but keeping people on the same page helps.

I had also seen a lot of drow questioning females based on the fact they (as a player) thought they understood lore and religion better, and bleeding into IC by having characters who would otherwise not question a superior doing so, and wanted to address that.
Quarra

Postby Quarra Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks for the added feedback you two. I think it's important to make mention because of how player and character perceptions can become entwined. IC is IC, and OOC is OOC to me, and it is hard to maintain those separate, especially with something as controversial as playing a Lolthite. No one is going to do it perfectly or have the same idea even, but keeping people on the same page helps.

I had also seen a lot of drow questioning females based on the fact they (as a player) thought they understood lore and religion better, and bleeding into IC by having characters who would otherwise not question a superior doing so, and wanted to address that.
One thing to keep in mind is that OOCly, your character may be stronger, or higher level, than another Drow. But if that other Drow is of a higher station than yours is, it is not only socially unacceptable but also highly illogical for your PC to be challenging them - unless of course you have a death wish. Drow society is entirely based on the social order, and challenging that order openly and in view of others is as strange as going right up to the CEO of your company and telling him you can do a better job - it would result in immediate, negative consequences.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 pm

A modification to whats been said should be regarding lower class drow.

A lower class female drow from the slums would not be 'expected' to follow the priesthood. A wisdom type prodigy from the slums MIGHT find her way there.

I think this is a bit of a hole in drow lore

Just as in other cultural areas in RL, the lives of the rich and famous or of nobles and upper classes gets focused on out of proportion. A lot of these ideas work well within houses and less well outside of houses.

A lower class female would be more likely to run a business or find her way up the ladder by making money. Thus females would be likely to be owners or managers of businesses - from small shops to larger trading companies or even mercenary companies.

Even in houses the idea that drow are nearly always priests does not really add up. If males dominate the careers of Wizard, Warrior AND Rogue and females only get Cleric - where are all the females? There should still be a 50/50 split of males and females. (to be honest ive felt this is one of many holes in drow lore)

If males really do dominate wizardry then there should be a more less equal number of male and female rogues and warriors and really probably AT LEAST as many female warrior and rogue House Masters.

And also in theory for instance there really should be a similar number of females and males in drow armies.
BorrowedTime

Postby BorrowedTime Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 pm

In response to Quarra: That was exactly my point, as a lot of people show up and first thing they do is claim to know better than people clearly higher ranking than them in society, whether they're part of the same House or not, which is just asinine to deal with.

In response to Max: That's true, actually, they kind of gloss over the lower class in some ways, and I've thought about it as well. It's amusing to me that the stereotype is females = priests, males = everything else where patriarchal society works in the opposite: men can be anything, women can only do x or y really effectively, though exceptions existing. They mention males running the merchant stuff in some sources, but then, where are these males coming from if they have no little house of their own with their own lower class matron?
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm

That's true, actually, they kind of gloss over the lower class in some ways
yes, there is a little side panel in City of the Spider Queen p29 - "A Common Drow Household" which is quite interesting
Excerpts:
"Despite their humble station, low level drow commoners are not nice people"
"They compete ruthlessly to place their daughters and sons in the service of noble families"
etc

My two drow characters Maja and Luna are both low status as i quite like exploring this side of the drow.
BorrowedTime

Postby BorrowedTime Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 am

I approve. I enjoy trying to explore different angles of drow society. If everyone played the same exact Lolthites, it would be rather dull.
Khazrak

Postby Khazrak Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:44 pm

I do have one thing to say:

I think it's important for Drow RPers to recognize the difference between character voice and narrator voice. When a character says someone is a lesser being etc., that's one thing. When a player uses narrator voice to say it, it comes off as passive aggressive, and is NOT conducive to good RP.

GOOD example:

The Drow turned away from the dwarf as the small warrior growled at him, sweeping his cloak behind him. "I will not waste time speaking with lessers, dwarf. Go away."

BAD example:

The Drow ignores the inferior little creature.

The above is a bad example because the narrator's voice is NOT the character's voice, and it gives the impression you, as a player, are treating the other character - or player! - as inferior. It puts sour tastes in people's mouth. And yes, I've seen a couple people do it before. If you see another player do that, please OOCly remind them not to be an ass.

Return to “General Discussion”