Roleplayer's Guide to Playing Lolthite and Playing With Lolthites

Quarra

Re: Roleplayer's Guide to Playing Lolthite and Playing With Lolthites

Postby Quarra Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:37 pm

I do have one thing to say:

I think it's important for Drow RPers to recognize the difference between character voice and narrator voice. When a character says someone is a lesser being etc., that's one thing. When a player uses narrator voice to say it, it comes off as passive aggressive, and is NOT conducive to good RP.

GOOD example:

The Drow turned away from the dwarf as the small warrior growled at him, sweeping his cloak behind him. "I will not waste time speaking with lessers, dwarf. Go away."

BAD example:

The Drow ignores the inferior little creature.

The above is a bad example because the narrator's voice is NOT the character's voice, and it gives the impression you, as a player, are treating the other character - or player! - as inferior. It puts sour tastes in people's mouth. And yes, I've seen a couple people do it before. If you see another player do that, please OOCly remind them not to be an ass.
To be fair - an emote should only ever show things that other PCs can see. Nobody cares if you emote "Quarra feels complete disdain for the elf". The elf can't see her emotion of disdain. "Quarra's face contorts into a mixture of hatred and disdain as she gazes upon the elf" is an obvious indicator of Quarra's emotions towards the elf - and allows others to roleplay around that physical representation of her emotions.

Emotes tell what is going on inside by showing what is outside.
Khazrak

Postby Khazrak Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:21 am

Oh, of course. I completely agree. Albeit, I'm someone that may use emotes on occasion to throw in a jab at myself (example: emote/dialogue from my character protesting his innocence, followed by an emote saying "Yeah, no. His face says 'lying sack of poop' all over it."). But the point is, I have seen the sort of behavior I was talking about in my previous post before, and even a case of a similar emote in response. It's something that happens, and it breeds ill feelings between players that should be enjoying the server together.

Basically, if you see it happen, remind people we're supposed to all be on friendly enough terms OOCly to share a server.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

To be fair - an emote should only ever show things that other PCs can see. Nobody cares if you emote "Quarra feels complete disdain for the elf". The elf can't see her emotion of disdain. "Quarra's face contorts into a mixture of hatred and disdain as she gazes upon the elf" is an obvious indicator of Quarra's emotions towards the elf - and allows others to roleplay around that physical representation of her emotions.

Emotes tell what is going on inside by showing what is outside.
I agree 100% per cent on this.

BUT there are different playing styles and some people do type quite long emotes with things that are partly inside.

But ideally yes SHOW not TELL - show on the outside dont tell whats going on inside is preferable for me too.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 am

There is no lore on it I believe but I'm inclined to play lower class drow like I would the lower class of other races - as rather coarse and uncouth with a tendency for foul language. Although my character Maja tends to disguise this and only lapses occasionally.
Last edited by Max Hatchet on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:45 am

There is also generally a lot of hate in drow society. The males hate the females. The females hate the males. The wizards hate the priests. Etc etc
So I would say the lower class would hate authority even as they fear it as they do in every stratified society. So a lot of lower class drow would have particular hate for the Yath and the Houses. As I've said before our western capitalist media driven society in RL neglects the culture and concerns of the lower class and I could imagine the possibility of drow lower class political groups that are usually repressed even tho this is not mentioned.
BorrowedTime

Postby BorrowedTime Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Yes, I have witnessed people performing those sorts of emotes towards myself, as well, and it's very telling that another player has some kind of issue with the other OOCly, IMO. I don't believe I've done them that way, myself, but no one is perfect.

As for lower class drow, I could easily see political groups like that in theory, but the way Lolthite faith works, it's more likely to be branded heresy I think. A lower class female's best chance to elevate herself is in the pursuit of the faith, I would think, as opposed to banding together in a political group. Alternatively, cults of Vhaeraun could potentially attract even female drow on the rare occasion from the lower class, maybe, with those ideas?

There's a lot about their society that I feel just wouldn't work in reality, but I do enjoy attempts to bring it a little closer to it, myself.

Return to “General Discussion”