An invitation for dialogue.

Draugir

Re: An invitation for dialogue.

Postby Draugir Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:06 am

This is going in circles. I explained earlier that I believed the changes should happen from staff, not from player initiative.
Rekov

Postby Rekov Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 pm

TL;DR: It's hard to come up with characters who have a good reason to get involved in Skullport's factions, especially the evil factions, unless you are already attracted to a very specific kind of RP.

---

I think Khazrak's post from page four mostly has the right of it. Skullport has a somewhat narrow appeal as a setting. It isn't terribly difficult to conceive a reason for all sorts of characters to come to Skullport, but how many of them are going to have a reason to get involved with one of the local factions?

The good faction in Skullport seems to have a broader appeal than the various evil factions, which either appeal to a very specific kind of RP (slavers, sneaky-backstabbers) or have IC purity tests for specific races, deities, or aims.

The Skulls, meanwhile, are the perfect deterrent for a great many possible player initiatives in terms of RP. They are ambiguous in their judgments and punishments, which is a strategy employed by many of the world's tyrannies. You never know if you're doing something that could get you into trouble. Anything could get you into trouble, or not, anywhere, at any time.

Obviously we players know the DMs are going to be reasonable about this, but there is nevertheless a tension between what we perceive the setting to be and what we as players recognize as a necessary hand-waving to make the PW possible.

All of the existing evil factions on Skullport are somewhat similar in that they all represent the kind of sneaky, distrustful, backstabbing, manipulating type of evil, which again only a narrow appeal. Where is there room for a 'wrath of nature' type faction of evil druids and rangers pushing back against encroaching civilization? Where is the non-sneaky, non-backstabbing evil faction, akin to the Empire from Star Wars?
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 am

Where is the non-sneaky, non-backstabbing evil faction, akin to the Empire from Star Wars?
erm.... should be House Lysaen?
minx

Postby minx Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:19 am

Which has been a bit depleted.

IMHO we're in a state were we as a playerbase should try to work to reinforce the existing 'main' factions of our beloved setting.

Fresh characters / intros for the Iron Ring and Lysaen for example.

A setting can ever only be as believable as the people helping to shape it, make it grow.
Now playing: Quinifae Arkentys & Penelope Miresprites
Rekov

Postby Rekov Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Where is the non-sneaky, non-backstabbing evil faction, akin to the Empire from Star Wars?
erm.... should be House Lysaen?
Eh, I don't know. A Lolthite drow house is almost the archetype of manipulative, sneaky, back-stabbing if you ask me. And it is a drow house, where non-drow will be second class citizens.

Return to “General Discussion”