Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

The Intercept

Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Postby The Intercept Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 am

I certainly respect players who RP ethnic tensions, but I can't help but notice I typically choose not to play these toons because to be perfectly blunt it has stopped me from getting shit done. I do not want to struggle running into people to party, finally mobilize as a group, and two hours into the RP have to disband the entire group, or detach myself from the fun just because my character thinks drow or orcs are bad. This can often devolve into mindless PvP that leaves salt in player's mouths, and can play out like a paladin who disrupts the entire party's experience because character x moronically summoned a zombie, and the paladin moronically ignores all attempts to RP, says a toddler one-liner, and proceeds to spank the necromancer furiously.

I am curious to hear other people's thoughts, I have roleplayed racism on various characters before and had fun on these characters, and I would also ask you what strategies do you take to stay motivated in playing your racist toon. Also, the people who decide to play tolerant characters and reject racism, are they respected less as players for their choice?
dissent is the highest form of patriotism
xorena

Re: Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Postby xorena Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:58 pm

You can have mindless grinding where you ignore the lore as well. That is not fun and breaks immersion for me.

A paladin ignoring a necromancer if he summons a zombie is a perfect example. Paladins should not ignore evil acts. Maybe the necro was acting IC.

Similarly, my Drow priestess is very racist and usually refuses to speak common. Another player will sometimes translate for her if it's pressing.
minx

Re: Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Postby minx Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Gotta side with xorena here, but I'll explain a bit further ...

'Racism' RP ... well .... are we at this can of worms again ...
Perhaps we shouldn't call it that, but rather 'animosity' RP or 'dislike' RP, because prejudice isn't based on races exclusively.
It can be based on social standing, personal experiences, caste systems etc. etc.
Perhaps your character was slave ? He sure doesn't stand the Iron Rings.
Got cursed by a witch once ? Gee, think she hates wizards.
Oh my (literal) god ! Your character hates my characters deity ? Yes please, amazing RP following up.

The MOST important thing to keep in mind though, in my humble experience, is: If a player cannot digest certain RP contents OOC-ly, then tone it down for the moment, come to terms in a polite fashion, and from then on you both simply agree not to RP again with this constellation.
Why ? Because we're all just people, and people can get offended over silly things IRL.
This doesn't necessarily has to be triggered by 'animosity' RP, could be torture scenes, violence, abusive scenes etc.
Respect your fellow players.

But if you're fine and fun with the more gritty types of RP, excellent, bring it on and more power to you.

And now for the original question:

Does 'animosity' RP prevent me from grouping ? Yes.
Is that a good thing ? Hell yes !!
I want to stay in-character. And that's the reason my main PC isn't level 15 yet, despite me having played here from week one.
She DOES NOT LIKE to team up with just any person she comes across.

Other characters of mine will happily team up with whatever you throw their way.

So, essentially, the one thing preventing you to team up with others is a choice of / combination of character concepts.
Sounds like real life, doesn't it ?

Also, we have a thread made by Rhicora about this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25, just saying.

And while we're at it, the think that irks me more are divine casters never portraying their spellcasting / praying / worship ;-)
Now playing: Quinifae Arkentys & Penelope Miresprites
xorena

Postby xorena Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:25 pm

And while we're at it, the think that irks me more are divine casters never portraying their spellcasting / praying / worship ;-)
Oh sheesh. Yes. Don't dip into cleric and never RP the divine aspects of your character sheet (or don't dip into cleric at all? This is an RP server).

Back to racism though. Drow are very racist. I portray mine as such. If I plan to be unduly harsh to someone I usually send a tell beforehand. Definitely talk to someone OOC if you are having problems with it.

EDIT: I do try to see the utility in other players. If Vlon can use your character for something important to her she will probably try.
Last edited by xorena on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cenerae

Postby Cenerae Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:00 pm

My Eilistraeen hates slavers. She won't work alongside anyone she knows to be working for an organisation that partakes of such. That means she actively avoids anyone she recognises as Thayan, and she absolutely won't work with Iron Ring members.

That being said, just because she might find out she's working with one mid-dungeon doesn't mean she's going to straight up openly attack them. She'll just excuse herself at the first opportunity. Which is a thing that happened once so far, after realising she'd been working alongside one of the Thayans.

Paladin might see a Necromancer raise undead, but just because the Paladin witnesses something abhorrent doesn't mean they're obligated to drop everything and attempt to smite it. Paladins don't have to be portrayed that way. For sure, they should take offence and probably abandon the group, but outright attack? Not unless they thought they had a good chance of winning. Throwing your life away is stupid, and you don't get any bonus Paladin cookie points for doing it.

I don't see a problem with conflicts and such because at the end of the day, it's an RP server. While it might shrink your pool of xp grind buddies, there should still be people available to party with if you need to go hack things to bits.

I echo the sentiment for messaging people OOCly if you're worried they're going to react badly to a racist character. One hopes that people are mature enough to differentiate between IC and OOC after all.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Okay... playing devils advocate here:

Why in hell would a highly racist drow choose to leave a drow city and come to Skullport?

I would say such a character would need a VERY GOOD RP reason for making such a lifestyle choice?

Skullport is not controlled by Drow, does not follow drow laws and to conduct any kind of successful business a drow or drow organisation would HAVE TO associate with non drow and communicate in common or
Undercommon.

WHY exactly is your highly racist drow in Skullport? ;)
The Intercept

Postby The Intercept Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 pm

I appreciate the feedback, though my concern, as already written, just in case it didn't sink in and to avoid being straw-manned, is roleplaying "racism" doesn't just black off grinding, but RP, and I'd disclose to you that RPing racism can be good long as everyone is getting something out of it and one person isn't a call of duty punching bag.
dissent is the highest form of patriotism
xorena

Postby xorena Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Why in hell would a highly racist drow choose to leave a drow city and come to Skullport?

I would say such a character would need a VERY GOOD RP reason for making such a lifestyle choice?

Skullport is not controlled by Drow, does not follow drow laws and to conduct any kind of successful business a drow or drow organisation would HAVE TO associate with non drow and communicate in common or
Undercommon.

I have a great reason. I don't believe in revealing a backstory on a whim though. Vlon'riia is very highly motivated.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:20 am

Undercommon.

I have a great reason. I don't believe in revealing a backstory on a whim though. Vlon'riia is very highly motivated.

it was meant as more of a rhetoricai question rather than being aimed at you specifically or requiring an answer :) .... and the wink at the end to show i was only partly serious

i can imagine one good rp reason might be that the toon is a bit of a 'crusader' for example :)

but im thinking that Skullport would attract a high percentage of non 'usual' drow

i have two Lolthites now (Maja and Phaedra) and they are both a little peculiar but in different ways. neither are overtly racist altho both dont associate with darthir normally

i have to admit i tend not to choose overtly racist drow for the same reasons as you lntercept, it is quite a strain and wear generally to play toons that are constantly malicious or racist and i find it difficult in online rp to keep that up
DirtyGoblin

Postby DirtyGoblin Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:34 am

I find the racial/ethnic tension to be better for immersion. Tarl has his surfacer prejudices. He does not trust drow, he does not trust orcs, etc. This doesn't translate to immediate pvp. CvC, needs to be preceded by some form of rp. Completely pushing away any and all racial tension would just be....meh. Skullport as a melting pot, is more like Gangs of New York as a melting pot. You have a bunch of diverse people striving to achieve their goals, who may work with or against each other and be influenced by ethnic tensions, with an overarching factor hanging above their heads to keep them from tearing each other apart.

If it were not for the Skulls, Skullport would likely be tearing at the seams until a single organization came out on top, be it the Iron Ring, or Tanorthal, or even the Dark Dagger if they openly left the Ring. (Iirc the Dark Dagger is a subgroup of the Iron Ring, and also Vhaeraun drow).

Now, the time zone I play in is overwhelmingly full of Promenade pcs these days, so I don't see much of the other pc groups anymore. I actually miss the tension, beyond just my human Blackguard disgusting the crap out of one pureblood drow, no matter how unorthodox she is.

Return to “General Discussion”