Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

xorena

Re: Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Postby xorena Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 am

Khaevil the same thing happened to me, Lysaen people even went around and asked my friends OOCly if I was a metagamer.
Khaevil, who plays Tarimar, was accused of metagaming by Luna/Max Hatchet.
minx

Re: Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Postby minx Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am

This thread has degraded into something far from healthy.

Issues or concerns of potential or outright metagaming should be taken to a DM if those parties involved are not able or willing to clear it up themselves.

Otherwise, we're not even discussing the effects of 'animosity' RP anymore, nor are we constructively engaged in an exchange about drow customs and culture.

And no, I'm not taking anyone's side here, merely playing devils advocate.

And in regards to one point MaxHatchet is right: Skullport could potentially draw in / be attractive to a broader variety of drow (emphasis on bold), and it even does so. For we have followers of all the major deities here (like I said before ...), but most if not all of these keep a low profile.
And that Max, is why you don't see them flaunting and running around in public, advertising their beliefs.

90% or so of those you (or rather your player character) sees in public with a more daring attitude are those that are either bold, doing business, have earned a bit of respect, or have the backing of a social group behind them (I.E. house Lysaen for example).
And yes, Lysaen is supposed to have a more lenient approach and actually does employ non-drow, but the main part of the Lysaen players involved at the moment are portraying Lolthites (and doing a good job at it from what I have seen).

There's always canon / fluff / whatever as its written, and there's the actual status quo.

And let's not forget, Skullport is about tension RP.

To conclude, because I have rambled on quite a bit:

I'm very happy that the majority of players portraying members of house Lysaen have returned from their hiatus.

Pointing fingers never solves problems, let us be excellent to one another and try to understand the others point of view.

Max, for you I have this suggestion: Create a Vhaeraunite and ask a DM politely to insert the PC into the Dark Dagger faction.

Hope this helps.
Now playing: Quinifae Arkentys & Penelope Miresprites
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

(i was confused by Tarimar's words to her which seemed inaccurate to me and thought he was confusing Luna with Maja. When he said that he lC believed she was an Eilistraeen i said 'thats fair' (she follows Shar). i then sent him two tells one of which said that it was fine if his character wanted to believe she was Eilistraeen but i had no reply. i also sent tells to Balin and Vlon about the RP but had no reply. l know it was my mistake and i should have just gone along with the RP rather than OOC question it. l've not played Luna since then and will probably not play her again)

ive not attacked any individual or group or criticised any indiviual's roleplay, ive not said bad things about Lysaen or the people in it but have had a barrage of attacks now from several people which seems unnecessary

all ive done is point out that Drow behaviour is more mixed than the paradigm often portrayed in online play and taken umbrage at being told: 'Maybe you just fail to portray drow in the way that the majority have agreed upon as lore friendly, or simply haven't managed to make a drow PC that fits the ideal.'

thats fine if you want to play your characters as 'racist jerks' within House Lysaen but its wrong to tell people to go and look for another group if they do not play exactly like you:

https://skullport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37
'Stance on Races
House Lysaen is a moderate organization in comparison to House Tanor'thal. By virtue of Tanor'thal's supremacy as First House, their Lolthite leadership can afford to pick the most devout and obedient spider-worshipers in the city and bring them to heel. Lysaen doesn't have this luxury, and in an effort to rise to the top they're willing to take whoever's the most competent, even if their religious fervor is suspect. As a result, they employ many Skulkers of other races - mostly under Needle, a notable half-drow rogue who leads the nondrow branch of the organization.'
Last edited by Max Hatchet on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am

Max, for you I have this suggestion: Create a Vhaeraunite and ask a DM politely to insert the PC into the Dark Dagger faction.

ummmm... you must be psychic! - thats exactly the character i was making last night! LOL :D
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm

i am quite happy to continue to discuss this interesting lore and how it can apply to our characters in a friendly way...

'Some groups (such as the worshippers of Vhaeraun and especially the Auzkovyn) have abandoned their traditional racial hatred and among the surface drow these are the majority' - Lords of Darkness
Right, so it's not traditional or normal as I've been saying. What do you not understand about the word "some"? Also, notice how the term "Racism" Is never used in canon? Because it has no place in fantasy.

it uses the phrase 'racial hatred' so racism as a concept lS used in the canon in that quote

it says 'some' groups 'such as the worshippers of Vhaeraun'. it seems quite plain from multiple sources that Vhaeraun's master plan to gain power is to gain elven worshippers and it doesnt seem like such a bad plan

YES - Lolthite Drow ARE mostly overtly racist but from canon it is plain that Vhaeraunite Drow tend NOT TO BE OVERTLY RAClST as this is being discouraged by Vhaeraun himself. Of course there can still be individual Vhaeraunites who are racist if that is how you want your character to be

it seems to me that Auzkovyn have fully taken on board Vhaeraun's teachings while Jaelre have not as they are not accepting elves into their ranks yet

Return to “General Discussion”