Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Max Hatchet

Re: Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Postby Max Hatchet Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 pm

People complain about these snowflake concepts, like openly good Drow, not because they don't think they can exist; they complain about these concepts because, more often than not, they're executed (no pun intended) poorly. A lot of players that play these concepts have the mentality of, "eating their cake and having it too," instead of trying to RP a character in an interesting, dynamic, or unique way. It's about doing whatever they want (doing everything you want is highly overrated), and don't want to think about suspension of disbelief, or the integrity of the setting. In a RP server, i think is the priority for everyone, regardless of the character's involved. I rather Balin perish and be permaed killed if it meant suspending disbelief for my fellow players for even a minute rather than having Balin live forever if it meant that he was a complete and utter snowflake that made RP difficult instead of smooth seamlessly.

well here we come to the problem, you and Dirty Goblin ('Maybe you just fail to portray drow in the way that the majority have agreed upon as lore friendly, or simply haven't managed to make a drow PC that fits the ideal.') think you have a right to OOC complain about other people's roleplay according to your subjective opinion

i come to roleplay to have fun NOT to pass some EXAM set by YOU or anybody else ;)

THERE lS NO lDEAL DROW ;)
TheSpaniard

Re: Does "racism" RP prevent players from grouping up/socializing/developing plots too much?

Postby TheSpaniard Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 am

THERE lS NO lDEAL DROW ;)
Like I just said, no one is saying that there's an archetype you have to match. What you do have to do is react appropriately to the setting.

The setting's Drow are mostly Lolthite, so why are you surprised that a nonconforming Drow is having a hard time fitting in with more traditional Drow?
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 am

Like I just said, no one is saying that there's an archetype you have to match. What you do have to do is react appropriately to the setting.
(DirtyGoblin said) The standard is whatever lore archetype the server/campaign has claimed as canon for the Drow Majority

'the standard' 'the archetype' :)
the problem is people like DirtyGoblin - 'Maybe you just fail to portray drow in the way that the majority have agreed upon as lore friendly, or simply haven't managed to make a drow PC that fits the ideal.' or you - ' they complain about these concepts because, more often than not, they're executed poorly' making judgements about other peoples roleplay - just live and let live a bit and stop being judgemental

The setting's Drow are mostly Lolthite, so why are you surprised that a nonconforming Drow is having a hard time fitting in with more traditional Drow?

where did i say i was surprised that a non conforming drow was having a hard time fitting in with more traditional drow?
TheSpaniard

Postby TheSpaniard Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:38 am

where did i say i was surprised that a non conforming drow was having a hard time fitting in with more traditional drow?
Isn't that what you're talking about? No one is saying you can't be a good or not traditional Drow, so I am confused here.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:04 am

Isn't that what you're talking about? No one is saying you can't be a good or not traditional Drow, so I am confused here.

well before DirtyGoblin said 'Maybe you just fail to portray drow in the way that the majority have agreed upon as lore friendly, or simply haven't managed to make a drow PC that fits the ideal.' and i got all uppity and the argument became about judging individual people's roleplay....

the main argument was about open racism - some players seem to think that Drow who are not openly racist are not playing 'proper drow', are not conforming to the 'archetype' - i have contended that in a place like Skullport most even 'traditional' Drow would hide their racism when trading or working with non Drow and that Drow are devious and subtle

from the canon quotes ive put above it seems like most Vhaeraunites have actually abandoned being racist

it should also be remembered that House Lysaen have a more relaxed attitude to race and even have a non-drow section
TheSpaniard

Postby TheSpaniard Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 am

from the canon quotes ive put above it seems like most Vhaeraunites have actually abandoned being racist

it should also be remembered that House Lysaen have a more relaxed attitude to race and even have a non-drow section
No, the argument people are saying is that your Drow can be "not racist" but it isn't the norm. None of the quotes have anything to do with racism, accepting Elves into their ranks doesn't mean that all Vhaeraunites are suddenly not racist. You're extrapolating a lot just to fit this made up narrative in your head, which is fine in single-player games, but not in multiplayer games.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 am

accepting Elves into their ranks doesn't mean that all Vhaeraunites are suddenly not racist.
i didnt say 'all' but the canon says this:

'Followers of the Masked Lord (Vhaeraun) are encouraged to form surface communities and (in some groups such as the Auzkovyn clan) even intermarry with surface elves of similar temperament, for Vhaeraun believes that the various elven races should stand together to advance the race as a whole' - Lords of Darkness

'Some groups (such as the worshippers of Vhaeraun and especially the Auzkovyn) have abandoned their traditional racial hatred and among the surface drow these are the majority' - Lords of Darkness

also from Faiths and Pantheons: 'Contact and marriage with other elven races is encouraged'
TheSpaniard

Postby TheSpaniard Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 am

accepting Elves into their ranks doesn't mean that all Vhaeraunites are suddenly not racist.
i didnt say 'all' but the canon says this:

'Followers of the Masked Lord (Vhaeraun) are encouraged to form surface communities and (in some groups such as the Auzkovyn clan) even intermarry with surface elves of similar temperament, for Vhaeraun believes that the various elven races should stand together to advance the race as a whole' - Lords of Darkness

'Some groups (such as the worshippers of Vhaeraun and especially the Auzkovyn) have abandoned their traditional racial hatred and among the surface drow these are the majority' - Lords of Darkness

also from Faiths and Pantheons: 'Contact and marriage with other elven races is encouraged'
Right, so it's not traditional or normal as I've been saying. What do you not understand about the word "some"? Also, notice how the term "Racism" Is never used in canon? Because it has no place in fantasy.
khaevil

Postby khaevil Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 am

Well how about this?

Even if Skullport drow should all be sitting around with sun elves sipping tea and singing kumbaya, it doesn't matter. The people playing in House Lysaen are playing drow as a bunch of racist jerks who treat anyone who isn't drow as inferior.

You can complain they're not doing it right if you want, but if you want them to accept you, then play in a manner that fits in with what they want. If you want something different, find a group doing something different.

I looked at every encounter I've had with Luna, after you accused me of metagaming. During this, I determined you could play the most conformist drow ever to grace the server and you still wouldn't fit in.

House Lysaen is mostly people looking for roleplay. We don't do much grinding as a guild, though there has been some. And when we do, it's almost always mixed with RP. Not always a heavy RP focus, but I've never seen anyone told they are wasting someones time with it. Instead, it's highly encouraged to not only roleplay, but to take the time to do it well. If buffs wear off, oh well.

We went to beetles together on August 16th, the only time we've ever grouped. Apparently I was trying to RP too much and it was slowing down the grind. You were not happy.
Shademourne

Postby Shademourne Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 am

Khaevil the same thing happened to me, Lysaen people even went around and asked my friends OOCly if I was a metagamer.
Rhicora - 10/23 at 12:40 PM
"Back in my day, we had ERP!"
"Now it's just eggplants and sweat drops!"

Return to “General Discussion”