What is "winning" and "losing" to you?

The Intercept

What is "winning" and "losing" to you?

Postby The Intercept Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:39 pm

^
dissent is the highest form of patriotism
Moridin

Re: What is "winning" and "losing" to you?

Postby Moridin Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:58 am

Winning to me for a character, is to have an engaging and active story, that your character is a part of, one that changes over time. Whether that ends in death, slavery, or thralldom, does not matter, only as long as things are effected by the character.

Losing to me is to be stuck on a specific part of the story for a long time, while other stories move on ahead of your character's. This typically leads to a character that doesn't impact much, and for me is boring to play.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:35 am

The first person to get to 15th level does win a prize don't they?
Herald of Talos
Contributor

Postby Herald of Talos Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Winning to me for a character, is to have an engaging and active story, that your character is a part of, one that changes over time. Whether that ends in death, slavery, or thralldom, does not matter, only as long as things are effected by the character.

Losing to me is to be stuck on a specific part of the story for a long time, while other stories move on ahead of your character's. This typically leads to a character that doesn't impact much, and for me is boring to play.
Ditto.
Cenerae

Postby Cenerae Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm

In what context are we talking about here?
khaevil

Postby khaevil Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Moridin has pretty close to my view, but not quite.

The primary reason I like this game is because it allows one to participate in a story. I judge my experience on how good that story is. However, it doesn't really matter if my character is the protagonist, or just an extra. If someone else's story advances, but I got to participate, that's perfectly fine with me.

Rather or not my character wins in the end isn't important either. It's the story I want to play, and the story is about the journey more than the destination. Many amazing stories end short of the resolution, and you never even know if the protagonist wins.

When I'm playing for story I don't look at the options before me and think "How can my character come out on top?" I think, "If this were a book, what would make me want to keep reading?" If I'm excited about the story, that's "winning."

I recently did an interrogation where the subject tried to kick my character in the head, and I had him dodge. It's a bad decision that still haunts me. What reads better: the interrogator dodges a kick and retaliates for the attempt, or the kick connects and he retaliates for breaking his nose?

If "winning" is a good story I suppose "losing" is a bad one. Unfortunately, what makes for a good story for me isn't the same as for much of the NWN2 community. I like a good sci-fi novel or series, but I dislike most comic books and movies based on comic books. Most of the story I see from the server is powerful heroes kicking butt. My idea of an interesting character is Bilbo Baggins, not Superman. I also like to keep hack n' slash to a minimum.

Lately, I've been playing the game more like a Diablo 3 style dungeon crawl. The challenge can be entertaining, but it's not why I play NWN2.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:06 pm

There is no 'winning' or 'losing' in NWN - thats why ive played it more than any game and why i will always come back to it

What gives me the greatest personal pleasure with my own characters is creating a toon with a consistent set of mannerisms, style of speech and character

My favourite characters ive created are those where i instinctively roleplay their responses without thinking about it

Return to “General Discussion”