Server dead?

yjrybymh

Server dead?

Postby yjrybymh Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:33 am

Not sure whats up lately but whenever I try and play there's only like 1-3 people playing. When I first started the server had 20-30 people online and it seems like it died off already after a few months.
TheSpaniard

Re: Server dead?

Postby TheSpaniard Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 am

People have lives, I know a lot of people that still play. I know a lot of people that play and say it's "dead." Numbers fluctuate because of life, but I do know there are two new DMs and people still playing myself included.
minx

Postby minx Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am

I was missing in action for 4 / 5 days, and upon coming back I find the situation described above .... which somehow unsettles me.

And yes, people have lives, we all do (hopefully).

But no, something seems to have occurred again.

Did we have an internal schism again where people got into senseless heated arguments over silly OOC issues ? I hope not.

This is the best FR RP server that has emerged in a long time and I sincerely hope we can keep it going.

I know I don't have the time for DM duties, that's a certain given my line of work, but I'd be happy to help out with other stuff where I can.
Now playing: Quinifae Arkentys & Penelope Miresprites
BlackmoreKnight

Postby BlackmoreKnight Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Skullport is an oppressive, niche setting that only attracts a given subset of players for long.

It is hard to make PCs with long-term interest in the setting except for specific archetypes. 'Get that money' is a primary motivation for evil PCs here but acquiring currency isn't... Interesting in NWN given how grinding results in infinite gold generation already. Slavery is a failed theme outside of Haven because it turns out it's really boring for most people to use your leisure time being oppressed if you're not getting sexual gratification out of it. This left the Ring bereft of things to do when the themes of slavery and money-getting just fall flat in NWN. So your longer term evil PCs were all drow which tends to open its own can of worms.

A month, month and a half ago Team Good basically won. This was discussed to death elsewhere. I imagine many of them got bored of no competition and playing worse Diablo 3 and moved to other experiences. Undermountain is an impressive technical achievement, yes, but also not something I find compelling enough on its own when I'd really rather just play a real ARPG for that specific experience.

The XP curve and level cap appeal to some people. Others find that NWN only gets interesting/fun in epic levels. Or don't like spending quite so much time in the single digit levels. So you lose some people there by default. Mechanical balance has also been consistently problematic for the entire server's lifetime. If advances are being made there I wouldn't know it.

Those are just my reasons for drifting away. They might parallel other people's reasons, might not. And lots of them are just core to the setting and system.
minx

Postby minx Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:42 am

Totally agree with the first two reasons, yet I fail to see where the point was reached people started to drift away en masse.

And form my perspective, it's not about pointing out the flaws in the system, every one with a bit of common sense is aware of those I think, it's about what can be done to rekindle the flame.

It's a cercle vicieux, where people stay away or won't come and see what's on the menu simply because none of the old-timers are around RPing.

Low player count beckons low player count.

For me, a RP server is all about atmosphere and stories being told. I used to play on various others in the past, but none bar Skullport could deliver the experience I was seeking.

But yeah, when you look at the average player count during euro hours, which is 2 to 3, 4 with some luck, and the last login dates of DMs / staff members, it does not bode well.
Now playing: Quinifae Arkentys & Penelope Miresprites
deserk

Postby deserk Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:12 pm

I did really want to play here back in the days when it first launched but I personally really struggled to make a character here. I always like to play characters that are relatively normal or authentic within FR, but then I can't help but think "what would anyone normal be doing down here?" or "why would anyone normal stay here?". And also, I'm not really fond of the nonchalant surfacer/UD interactions this setting allows. It just feels cheap, and kind of robs away the mystery and intrigue of actually encountering races like the drow, orcs, etc, when you immediately spot them having tea parties with surfacers.

I prefer a normal setting like Amn, and I also I much prefer the way ToA was set up, with Surface/Underdark/Orc playerhubs. Yes, it splits the playerbase, but it allows for quite different experiences and for actually -distinct- RP communities to exist and flourish. You have more freedom to play different concepts and you don't have to water down your concept in fear of alienating everyone within your hub. With my characters I don't ever want to feel that I have to treat drow as "normal" nor do I as a drow want to treat those that aren't drow as anything but expendable fodder.

Also really not a fan of the levelling system here. It just feels unrewarding and linear, and doesn't allow for as much different builds or much multiclassing. I won't really try to argue this point much, it's just a matter of taste. I have absolutely no issue with slow level progression however.
Max Hatchet

Postby Max Hatchet Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:52 pm

i like everything about the server. i really like the setting and the tensions it creates. i like the E15 overall. i like the quality of the RP. i like the efforts of the two new storytellers and they deserve a loyal player base. i also like Undermountain and still have faith that its going to be a great addition to the server

so why do we now have problems?

im not sure but here are some guesses/thoughts:

internal faction rivalries and jealousies between factions - im not a member of any faction - even tho ive made some efforts to join one, so im not best placed to know whats been going on. another player here told me they thought the factions were elitist

Discord taking over from the forum - ive tried pointing this out before. Discord does not work for in depth and cogent argument and discussion. Arguments are spread out on a channel and lost. it works best for telling your friends you've crashed and for posting videos about the alt-right (yawn). Thus i think the voice of the playerbase is lost?

Undermountain - its a bit of a drug and when people cant get it they are switching off the server in frustration.

Apart from that there are some more minor things - like too much loot has left the players spoilt and ruined the economy
Rekov

Postby Rekov Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 pm

I think this has been summed up well by myself and others before.
Skullport is an oppressive, niche setting that only attracts a given subset of players for long.
It's hard to come up with characters who have a good reason to get involved in Skullport's factions, especially the evil factions, unless you are already attracted to a very specific kind of RP.
The good news is that it isn't something to do with the staff, so it's not beyond fixing. The setting could potentially be changed, through IC events, into something more broadly appealing.

As a minor thought, I would caution against the "time of the year" justification for low player numbers. I have seen this defense used for absolutely every time of the year (people are busy because it's vacation/people are busy because vacation is over), but more importantly, it's a dead end. It offers no course of action to rectify the situation.
SteelStallion
Contributor

Postby SteelStallion Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Maybe the server could consider branching out and including Waterdeep and a few of its surrounding areas in a large update, then have Undermountain access through that Inn that has an entrance in its basement canonically.

Apart from that, if it's a problem that is endemic to the setting, there's not much to be done about it but wait until players are interested again.
gesseritt

Postby gesseritt Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:21 pm

As a minor thought, I would caution against the "time of the year" justification for low player numbers. I have seen this defense used for absolutely every time of the year (people are busy because it's vacation/people are busy because vacation is over), but more importantly, it's a dead end. It offers no course of action to rectify the situation.
This! I really hope we can get the numbers again. I personally love the server and miss seeing people online.

Return to “General Discussion”